Burning EAB wood cut on my property inside my home, in the fireplace

Hi. we had a couple of EAB-infested trees cut down recently. The company that cut them down seems to be under the impression that this wood should not be split and transported inside my home for drying and later burning (without having the bark stripped). This strikes me as absurd. Could you please address this issue for her- is there any reason at all not to move split EAB-infested logs from our backyard to our garage, for future use as firewood?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Olmsted County Minnesota trees eab control

The problem is with the life cycle of the insect. Here is an explanation of it.

Emerald ash borers generally have a one-year life cycle that can extend to two years in a vigorously growing tree.

• Adults emerge from ash trees any time from late May to August.
  • After feeding on leaves, adults mate and females lay eggs on the bark or in small cracks.
  • Eggs hatch in 7 to 10 days.
  • The larvae tunnel under the bark of ash trees and feed until fall.
  • The fully grown larvae live through the winter in chambers constructed under the bark.
  • They transform into pupae in early spring.
If you do not get all of the wood burned this winter then the potential for the survival of the insect exists. Here is a link to more info about the beetles. Be sure to open the links for all of the info. https://extension.umn.edu/tree-and-shrub-insects/emerald-ash-borers