JAPANESE MAPLE PROPOGATION

I would like to grow some cuttings from a Japanese maple that I have in the yard. Haven't had luck in the past, but I think that may be due to improper moisture. Any advice? Do you recommend using a "soilless mix" using a sand mix or some other base? Do you favor any particular brand of rooting hormone?

Montgomery County Maryland propagation japanese maples plant care trees

Japanese maples can be rooted from cuttings. The success ratio varies from 0 to 100%. References mention softwood cuttings, 6-8 inches long, wounded, 1-2% rooting hormone, in a well drained medium under mist. Allowing the foliage to dry out for short periods of time can be detrimental. When rooted they should be left undisturbed until they have gone through a dormant period.

We do not have a specific rooting powder to recommend. You will have to go to a nursery. Best medium is peat:perlite but peat:sharp sand is satisfactory. Cuttings should be stuck 2 inches into the medium.
Below is a link to general information on cuttings. https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/plant-propagation-by-stem-cuttings-instructions-for-the-home-gardener

You may want to go to the library and look at references on Japanese maple propagation. Some selections include:
The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Michael A. Dirr & Charles W.Heuser, Jr.
and Japanese Maples, Fourth Edition by J.D. Vertrees & Peter Gregory