Hi, last spring I planted 2 acres of hardwoods mainly oak, 1 acre of native...

Asked November 17, 2018, 8:04 AM EST

Hi, last spring I planted 2 acres of hardwoods mainly oak, 1 acre of native shrubs, 125 fruit trees apples mainly, and 7 acres of conifers. Conifers are consisting of white pine, loblolly,Norway spruce, and virgina pine. The planting is growing very well but I want to add some fertilizer to all the seedlings this next spring. I’m wandering what kind of fertilizer to apply and how much per seedling? I also would like some tips on pruning my fruit trees. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks

Meigs County Ohio fertilizing tree seedlings

Hi There,

I would encourage you to take several soil tests, one for each plant type. Check with your local extension office for more information on soil testing. The recommended soil testing labs are the Penn State and Michigan State soil testing labs, OSU does not have one any more. The soil test reports will give you decent recommendations, typically by area, not necessarily by plant.

You should purchase a copy of the Midwest Home Fruit Production Guide (OSU Extension bulletin #940) from your local extension as well. It has quite bit information on apple tree training and pruning.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks!