Marva LaMore, Business Owner/Taxpayer

Asked November 15, 2018, 2:51 PM EST

Very simply one trustee of the township board and community are concerned about the way our township is being run. We have learned there have been multiple OMA violations, as well as, malfeasance issues. We are discussing contacting the Michigan Attorney General with support documentation. Is this the best approach? If not any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you for you Time

Montmorency County Michigan

1 Response

Thank you for your question. According to the Open Meetings Act:

15.270 Decisions of public body; presumption; civil action to invalidate; jurisdiction; venue; reenactment of disputed decision. Sec. 10. (1) Decisions of a public body shall be presumed to have been adopted in compliance with the requirements of this act. The attorney general, the prosecuting attorney of the county in which the public body serves, or any person may commence a civil action in the circuit court to challenge the validity of a decision of a public body made in violation of this act.

You may also want to refer to the OMA Handbook for more information

I am not an attorney, so would refer you to legal counsel to determine the best course of action for your particular case.