To wrap or not wrap Techny Arbs for the winter

Asked November 11, 2018, 10:28 AM EST

These five Techny Arbs were planted in April 2017. I watered the heck out of them all summer and fall, and we wrapped them in burlap for the winter of (2017-2018). They seem to be doing great and have grown. My question is, do we have to wrap them again for this winter or are they well-established enough to survive? They are growing together now so it will more challenging to wrap them. They are in the north-west corner of my lot if that matters.

Wayne County Michigan

Your shrubs look great! Good job. If the plants are well rooted and go into the winter fully hydrated, they should not need to be wrapped unless this is a extremely windy location. (In that case you could just provide a wind break for them on one side). However, if you are in deer country, the wrap also provides a barrier to hungry munchers through out the winter.