Propogating Roses from Clippings

Asked November 9, 2018, 9:48 AM EST

I have numerous rose clippings that I've just had in water but they are now showing new growth; however, there are no roots. So how do I get them to root so I can transplant them into soil. Additionally, I have another container of clippings from the same time with no growth. Do some just not take and I should just throw them out? I only use R.O. water for all my plants and propogations. And I change the water every three or so days. I read somewhere that tap water can be bad for plants. I also have air bubblers in some branch clippings I'm trying to get to root without success. I'll attach a few photos so you can see my situation. Thanks!

Winnebago County Illinois roses

Thank you for your question. Here is an article with all of the answers: https://scvrs.homestead.com/Cuttings1.html Good luck!

Thank you but this doesn't say anything about rooting in water. And it days if you stick it in the dirt itll take a couple months before you see any growth. This only took a couple of weeks. Will they root in the water or do o need to move them to dirt? And it said you use potting soil, should it be potting mix instead so the stems don't rot?

You can root in water. Don't plant in potting mix until you see roots, and keep soil evenly moist, but not soaking wet. Using a mix specifically for plant propagation is more important when planting seeds, to avoid the fungus that causes damping off. So long as the mixture is well draining, the type of potting medium is not important here.

I'm afraid I don't understand your second sentence, but perhaps this covers it, too.