Rhubarb plant - relocating?

Hi, I have a 1 year old rhubarb plant which is doing well...planted last Spring, haven't harvested any yet. I am going to have to move the plant by next Spring...I know it's not a great idea but it is required or I will lose it. Any suggestions on timing, method, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Allegheny County Pennsylvania horticulture

Thanks for using the Ask an Expert System.

Although transplanting rhubarb can be performed in the spring or early fall, I believe that it is too late to move the plant now. Some gardeners prefer the autumn for transplanting because the plants are dormant.

Either time of year that you choose, the actual method for transplanting rhubarb is the same. In early spring, just when plants begin to come out of dormancy is the ideal time to transplant them. At this time early growth is just beginning on the rhubarb plants.

The rhubarb plants that are to be transplanted, should be dug up (be careful not to damage the crown). The larger the size of the crown, the quicker the new planting will become established. After digging up the crown and roots, dig a hole, slightly larger than the plant ready for transplanting, and place the crown in the hole, (filled with water), with its roots facing downwards.

The top of the crown should be about 1 1/2 - 2 inches below the soil surface. Water regularly so that the roots do not dry out, and protect from any possible freezing conditions.

If you have additional questions, I suggest that you contact the Allegheny County Penn State Master Gardener Gardenline. This is a free service offered through the Penn State Extension Office to help Allegheny County residents with gardening questions and concerns. You can reach them by phone at 412-482-3476, or 412-482-3477, or by Email: Alleghenymg@psu.edu

Allegheny County Penn State Extension Office