Black Hills spruce in a pot over winter

Asked November 8, 2018, 9:17 AM EST

Hello. I have a 5 foot black hills spruce in a plastic, 16 inch pot which will not get planted this fall due delays in my landscaping project. Would it be best to store it in my garage where it will get limited light over winter? My garage door has windows so it will get some indirect light. If I put in in the garage. Please tell me the best method to make sure it stays healthy over winter. I live in Lakeville, MN 55044. Zone 4.

Dakota County Minnesota overwintering black hills spruce horticulture

Before the soil freezes, find a sheltered location, dig a hole large and deep enough to sink the pot into the ground nearly to the brim. Spread leaves, straw or other mulch around the pot and keep the plant well watered until the soil freezes.

Keeping the pot over winter in an unheated garage might work, depending upon how low the temperature falls there on the coldest days. The goal is to maintain relatively consistent soil temperature and avoid freeze/thaw cycles.