What plant is this and what is the best way to take care of it?

Asked November 7, 2018, 10:27 AM EST

This plant was my grandmothers. My mom got it after my grandma passed. She says she has kept it in the same pot and has not added dirt or changed pots. We are blown away that it’s still alive with minimal care. She’s afraid to change it’s pot in fear that it will die. Any information would be helpful and appreciated!

Anoka County Minnesota plant propagation croton

The plant is a croton (Codiaeum variegatum).

Keep the plant in a warm sunny place this winter. Pay careful attention to watering. Too much or too little water causes leaf drop. Be sure the pot drains well and does not sit in a pool of water after it has been watered.

Your croton has become leggy and needs to be cut back. Wait until spring to do that. Then you can propagate it by potting stem cuttings. The publications that follow explain how to do that.

If you cut all the stems back to eight or 10 inches after taking cuttings, you may also be able to repot and renew the original plant.