What is this ?

Asked November 7, 2018, 2:12 AM EST

This is a weeping Hican Cherry planted summer 2017 as part of a beautification effort at Four Seasons City Farm, a 501(c)(3) in Columbus, Ohio. This past summer 2018 it got this rupture in the lower part of th trunk. See attached picture. What is it? And what can be done about it? Thanks.

Franklin County Ohio

Great question and now is a good time of year to take actions that should help manage this issue. The problem is common with cherry trees and other fruit trees due to their thin bark and is commonly linked to winter temperature fluctuations and may be associated to minor bark damage that occurred early in the tree's life. Here is a link to a really good fact sheet from Cornell University Extension that explains the problem and how to manage it:
http://www.plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/barksplitting.pdf
The real danger I see with the tree in question is the location of the split. Since the split is so low on the trunk, it will have to be closely monitored as it continues to grow and mature to ensure insect problems due not arise.
I hope you have a great fall season and I noticed the mention of snow next week. The cold weather is getting really close now.