What got to my red peppers?!

Asked November 4, 2018, 9:32 AM EST

Hello - the attached photos tell the story. This began happening in August, only to this plant. Other plants on either side didn't seem to be affected. Can you tell me what it is and how to avoid/treat it? Thanks very much.

Polk County Oregon peppers sunburn sunscald

hank you for the images of your peppers that were damaged by this summer’s excessive heat. Bell peppers thrive when the temperatures range between 65 and 95F. Unfortunately, though, on especially bright, clear days, peppers can be damaged by sunscald, sometimes referred to as sunburn.

Sunscald is most common on plants with fewer leaves than others. Other contributing factors include a slightly more exposed site than other plants; a brief water shortage; and/or a undersized root system that was unable to supply sufficient water to the top growth during the heat. Temporary shading is an easy remedy, as long as it is propped well above the plants.

Thank you so much! That's an easy enough fix. I'll remember that next year.