Sidewalk replacement adjacent to Native Perennial garden

Asked November 2, 2018, 11:18 AM EDT

Last Spring we planted the Accord Native Plant Community Garden in Van Cleve Park with native perennials. The garden was thriving, but we didn't know that there were plans to replace the sidewalk and utilities at that corner. The workers had to cut into the garden to place the cement forms. There is a cement dust on the plants and a gap where some soil was removed. I have native species seeds I could put in. Would adding some organic compost or a bit of soil into this gap help counteract the stress on our plants? I have native species seeds I could add. Some plants along the edge were Silky Aster, Aromatic Aster, coreopsis, Gray Goldenrod, Wild Geranium, Jacob's Ladder and Wild Petunia.

Hennepin County Minnesota wildflowers and native plants seeds gardening construction

Adding compost will help reestablish the planting. A narrow strip between slabs of concrete is going to be challenging section. Getting plants established will probably take several tries. The wild petunias will probably do the best. Jacobs ladder will not grow there it needs more moisture. The display is very pretty. Thanks for your efforts.