something in my spider plant is leaving droppings

Asked November 1, 2018, 10:29 PM EDT

I have adopted an indoor spider plant in a fairly large terra cotta planter that has quite a few hanging baby plants and I have noticed many black droppings around it in the past few days. I have looked all over for what I would think would be a caterpillar or something that would leave droppings. The droppings are hard, black and pellet shaped, about the size of a millet grain. There are some brown markings on the leaves, not a lot of evidence of chewing, just an occasional hole here and there. I can't seem to figure out what is leaving these droppings. Thank you!

Montgomery County Maryland houseplants insect or spider id

You are correct that these look like caterpillar droppings. Look above where you see the droppings and look for leaves that have fresh damage/chewing. You may find a caterpillar underneath the leaves and you can remove it/them by hand and put them in the trash.

ckc