Do leaves have to be raked?
Oak leaves fall in my shady, woody garden. Should they be raked out or can I just leave them there to serve as mulch like in a natural setting?
Anne Arundel County Maryland
It is a good idea to leave the leaves in your garden beds. It is a source of free mulch and provides winter cover for pollinators and other invertebrates.Here are more ideas for dealing with fallen tree leaves:
- Shred them with a mulching lawnmower and leave them in place (as long as they don’t completely cover your grass.)
- Shred them and add them to your compost pile.
- Cover your garden soil with shredded leaves.
- Use them to mulch perennials, trees, and shrubs.
- Run them over with a mulching mower, bag them up and use them as a mulch next year.