Smartweed

I have a lot of smart weed in my back yard. What can I do to get rid of it? I have a dog that is in my back yard on a daily basis. I want to keep her safe. Help! The smart weed is taking over. Thank you.

Boone County Kentucky smartweed boone county kentucky horticulture

Smartweed (Polygonum pensylvanicum) is an annual broadleaf weed. It reproduces by seeds that drop nearby to produce new plants. The most effective control method is to focus on preventing the plants from producing seeds, so mowing before flower and seed production is a must. Several organic herbicides containing acetic & citric acid may help but may need to be reapplied for effective control.
A propane type "weed flamer" is also a non toxic method that works well where chemical herbicide can not be used..
Of course traditional chemical herbicides containing the active ingredient 24D are very effective but your pet will have to me kept out of that area for a period of time
Always read and follow the herbicide label instructions even if it an organic type product!!.