Bloodgood maple

I’m getting conflicting information online and from local nurseries about the tree ‘Bloodgood” maple. Some describe it as zone 4, the heartiest of Japanese maples. Others say it is only zone 5. I’ve also heard if Korean/Japanese hybrids. Do you have a recommendation for a variety most similar to a small, feathery Japanese maple with red leaves? For any of these, is it too late in the season to plant. I’m in St. Peter, MN, planning to plant on a NE corner, somewhat sheltered by other large maple trees. Thank you, Susan

Nicollet County Minnesota japanese maples horticulture

Japanese maples (Acer palmatum) are not considered hardy here, but lots of people grow them successfully. I think location matters quite a bit. Pick a protected site, away from late winter sun and winds. Keep it watered up until the ground freezes, and mulch around it. I'd also cover the trunk with a tree wrap over the winter. 'Bloodgood' is a "hardy" variety of Japanese maple, but still only hardy to zone 5.

Korean maples (A. pseudosieboldianum) are hardier and are considered an alternative. You might be advised to grow one of these instead.

I would not plant a Japanese maple at this time. Wait until spring.