Winterizing Fig Tree

I transplanted a fig tree a couple years ago. This past winter, I wrapped it in burlap and tried to stuff it with leaves. It was really cold and everything died. Late spring, new growth started shooting from the ground and this past summer, the fig tree is actually taller (with the new growth) than it was last year and I see little tiny figs. How do I best winterize it so I get figs I can actually eat? Is it just a time thing (where I need to wait 5 years for the tree to mature). Or is the freezing slowing things down. How do I speed things up. I'm not sure if my "wrapping" is sufficient (if I need to add a trash bag?). Or should I dig it and bury it in the ground (which I'm willing to do but find it such a strange concept).

Howard County Maryland fruit figs plant care fig died back but has fruit figs are small how to winterize figs fig winterization

Read our webpage to see how to winterize: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/figs
Be sure to watch the video, too.

Since your fig died back to the ground last winter, it should take a couple of years, at least, to mature enough to produce figs. Actually, your fig has recovered remarkably well. But, it takes a long growing season for the fruits to have time to mature, and the tree having to regrow from winter dieback slowed down their maturing this year
. If your fig tree's recovery so far is any indication, it is planted in a good spot and should produce well for you in the future, as long as you give it good winter protection each winter.