Canning Tomatoes

It has been so long since on canned Stewed Tomatoes. But I use to can everything! I followed my recipe for Stewed Tomatoes, but did not read in its entirety because I thought I knew right? I put my tomatoes in a pot of boiling water to help me remove the outside skin of the tomato quicker. Took them out quickly, took off skin, and then cut them up and put them in my big bowl and missed the part to boil the tomato mixture (tomatoes, onions, celery etc.). for 10 minutes. I just put the mixture into my pint "hot" bottles , heated the lids and cooked them for 50 minutes in a boiling water bath. All 23 sealed but 2 this morning which I then pushed the 2 lids down and they sealed. I am worried that I did not do the 10 minutes boiling. Do I have take the lids off and completely to do them over? I am afraid they will make us sick.

Idaho County Idaho home food preservation

Where did you get this Stewed Tomato canning recipe?

The part of the directions where you boil for 10 minutes before canning them would be part of the processing time so it could potentially make the stewed tomatoes unsafe.

However, what concerns me more is that you processed it in a boiling water canner. Some of ingredients that you listed above are low acid and would raise the pH of the tomatoes making them unsafe to process them in a boiling water canner. I found a stewed tomato recipe in the Ball Blue Book. It has similar ingredients to what you mentioned above and requires that it is pressure canned.

Based on what the information you provided, it appears that your stewed tomatoes were not canned safely. If it has been less than 24 hours since you originally canned them, you can reprocess them. If more than 24 hours, you need to discard them. Even though the lids sealed, it does not make the tomatoes that you canned safe.