Preventing Vine Borers

Is there anything I can do this fall/winter to prevent the vine borers that have destroyed my squash, zucchini, and pumpkin plants the past few summers? I have used a "no till" process to garden the past 2 summers and feel like maybe this has contributed to them overwintering.

Boyle County Kentucky boyle county kentucky squash vine borers horticulture

Start by removing all the vines from your garden and composting them or throwing them away. This should help disrupt the overwintering cycle. Home gardeners can use insecticide sprays starting around June, or floating row covers as an organic option, to protect vines. Row covers need to be removed for a 2-week period to allow for pollination during bloom; after this, row covers can be placed back over plants. Adults are gray moths with hairy red hind legs that fly in the daytime. Keep a look out for these on your plants to know when sprays should begin occurring. You can see more information here https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef314 or call the extension office.