Flower pot floods late summer earley fall

My flower pot is 14 inches in diameter and 16 inches high (outside). It has two hoses to it and the landscaper has it being watered daily for a couple of minutes. By late summer the pot will have standing water in it. If I'm at home I pull the watering tubes out but we travel a lot and when I came home everything was standing in water. I have two pots same size, the other one does not flood. I thought I had put Styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of the pot but I did not find any in this pot as I dug out all the dirt. Maybe that's why the other pot does not flood. The pot does not have a hole in it and it is ceramic. WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP IT FROM FLOODING???????
Thank you. Mary Ann

Broomfield County Colorado container gardening

Thank you for your question, Mary Ann. The most important issue in keeping containers from flooding is having good drainage, which the lack of holes in the bottom confirms. So, replacing the pot with no holes with one that has one or more, or drilling a hole in the one you have, should do the trick. You should not have to water any containers twice a day, since it washes away soil nutrients. Even when it is very hot, once a day is often overkill. Depending on what you have in the pots, the plants should not be watered until the soil is dry to 1"--about up to your first knuckle. I wonder if you've considered a metered system, so that the water will go to the plants at set intervals? We, too, travel, and one of these systems has proven to be very beneficial to our plants. (And you can save on landscaper costs!) I've found several on the Internet, varying from small, patio-area systems, to ones for the entire yards. This Extension article has some other ideas: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/container-gardens-7-238/

Good luck!