Japanese Tree

May JapNese Maple has several trunks converging and there is a crevice that fills up with water and debris. Will this cause harm to the tree? Is there any way to protect this crevice from rotting out this area. Thabks

Harford County Maryland japanese maples tree

This tree looks mature. You did not mention how the canopy looks and if it is putting out new growth each season. It is possible the area may become a weak spot that may compromise the health of the tree. We also notice that in the left photo there is a type of canker or cracked bark on the trunk. There is no control for these issues.

All you can do is monitor the health of the tree. Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the base of the trunk. Do not plant too deeply. You should be able to see the flare at the base of the trunk whee it joins the root system. Keep the tree watered during dry periods.

I was wondering if I costed the crevice with the material you cover tree limbs when they have been cut off if that would help. Below are photos of the canopy. The tree does show new growth each year. I removed the lower limbs and it seemed to respond well.

The tree looks beautiful. We do not recommend pruning paint as this can impede the healing process.
As mentioned above keep the tree in good health by watering dry periods and make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and away from the base of the trunk.