clivia winter care

I have clivia in a pot in my kitchen not too far from a window. I have heard of another option to keep it in the basement that is dark. I know not to water it until December. Can you recommend the best care?

Anne Arundel County Maryland houseplants clivia plant care

Clivia are beautiful in plants but do take some special care to produce nice blooms.
They absolutely need good light and a cool winter rest period.

They like bright light- a window that gets early morning or late afternoon sun. Direct sun in the growing season is too strong. Winter direct sun is usually o.k.
Without enough light, they will not bloom. They can be put outside in the spring and summer, but must be taken in once temps fall into the 50's.

The winter rest period period they would like to be situated in a cool room- if you have one that doesn't freeze but stays below 50, that's ideal. They still like the light, but they shouldn't be watered for 6-8 weeks. If the room is too warm, they may jump the gun and some flowers will try to open while the stem has not yet grown out from the leaves.
Once the flower stalks start to grow, start watering again, slowly increasing the amount, until you are keeping the mixture good and moist throughout the growing seasons of spring and summer.
A standard liquid fertilizer every two weeks starting when the flower stalks are half up (6-10 inches) is appreciated. Stop with that in late summer.