Tomato problem

I hope you can help me. I have Big Boy tomato plants. I have attached a couple of pictures to show what's going on. The "splitting/cracking" started end of Aug. It affects nearly every tomato. The plants are healthy. They get about 6 hours of sun per day. The tomatoes, if you cut off the top half are excellent. But I would like to get nice full piece of fruit from these plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I attached .jpg files but your message says "wrong file type". I double checked the files and they are .jpg.

Dakota County Minnesota horticulture tomatoes

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry it has taken so long to get an answer to you, and you may already have canned what tomatoes you harvested! Here's what Minnesota Extension says about this problem:

"Growth cracks

Extremely fast fruit growth can cause growth cracks. This may be caused by periods of abundant rain and high temperatures, or can happen when it rains or you water water plants after a period of drought.

large tomato on the vine with gaping crack running from near the stem and down across the middle of the fruit

Cracks may radiate from the stem end of the fruit or may encircle the fruit. Cracks are often invaded by secondary fungi and bacteria that further rot the fruit.

Maintaining even moisture by watering regularly and mulching the soil around the tomato plant can help reduce growth cracks.

Varieties differ in susceptibility to cracking, and variety descriptions may be helpful in choosing a plant less likely to crack."

So, as much as we think hot weather is good for plants generally, it can be a real pain with tomatoes. I hope this is helpful! Good luck next year!

Thank you so much for your feedback. Greatly appreciated. Will try to do a better job of more "even" watering or maybe try a different variety (but I do love the Big Boys).

Thanks again.

You’re welcome! Happy gardening!