Lawn Problems Part 2

This is my most serious problem...Have large areas of this weed in North facing backyard which is generally shady. Weed is dead or dormant so areas are now mostly bare as well as in early spring as shown in Photo 2a. Grass has died in these areas and overseeding in Spring did not help. I do cut my grass short. What weed is this? What might be the best treatment? Thanks for your help

Howard County Maryland identification lawn weed

We cannot say for sure what the weed is. Once dead it is difficult to diagnose. Here are some possibilities. Could be a type of rye grass. You did not mention the type of seed sowed in the past. Possible grubs, however, grubs are more of an issue in the late summer to early fall. We have had a lot of rain this season and may be possible foliar diseases especially if you sowed a type of rye grass.

If you have a lot of shade, it can be difficult to grow grass due to competition from tree roots and lack of sun. Here is our page on How to Grow Grass in the Shade
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/growing-grass-shade
perform a soil test, select the recommended grass species, proper fertilization, mowing, and overseeding in the fall. If not successful, consider beds with shade perennials and groundcovers.