Limelight hydrangea tree

My limelight hydrangea tree has really grown this year. It is only 2 years since I planted it. I’m afraid the snow will damage the branches this winter. Should I trim it back this fall or wait till spring? Normally I trim my limelight hydrangea bushes in the spring. I have not trimmed the tree since it was planted.

Emmet County Michigan trees and shrubs sustainable gardening and landscaping pruning gardening horticulture

Thanks for submitting your question and images to Ask an Expert. Hydrangea are not typically pruned back in the fall. However, with the extensive growth of your plants, it would be wise to cut back them back this fall to help minimize damage to the stems from heavy snow loads. Cut back the long stems with flowers about 1/3. Follow up with any additional pruning (if needed) in the late winter/early spring.

Hope this information is helpful.