Sugar Maple

I have twin big Sugar maples about 60 years old now. The one on the west side has had small branches and ends dying off for several years now. I’ve cut off the dead branches but the tree seems weak. The tree to the east is larger and much stronger. I’m concerned it will get the disease, virus or whatever. Is there a way I can save the weaker, now smaller tree and prevent a transfer. Any idea what it is? Verticillium wilt maple, maybe?

Wayne County Michigan trees and shrubs sustainable gardening and landscaping gardening

Verticillium wilt is always a possibility on maples but there can be numerous other possible reasons for decline as well. Best suggestion is to involve a Certified Arborist, one who specializes in everything woody, for an on site evaluation in which he/she could observe how the tree is growing, the terrain, and what is growing around it, as well as cultural practices. You can find one or more Certified Arborists in your zip code at www.treesaregood.com Click on the Find an Arborist tab. Arborist evaluations are not expensive, are always a good leaning experience for the homeowner and where you can determine how to proceed based on professional information.

Good luck!