New to the North Bend/Coos Bay area

I have a daughter and son-in-law who are new to the North Bend/Coos Bay area. They are in the process of removing a significant amount of ivy from fences, trees and the ground surrounding their home in North Bend. I plan on visiting their home in mid April to begin planting shrubs such as rhododendrons and azaleas. Do you have a resource for planning, selection, and acquiring those plants and others that are appropriate for the North Bend/Coos Bay area. My gardening experience has been in the more temperate area of Boise and I would appreciate any pointers that can be given to make their gardening experience a successful one. Best regard, Skip Darrow Boise, Idaho (208) 447-6670 skip@wciboise.com

Coos County Oregon gardening horticulture

Hi Skip, although the conditions in Curry County are fairly similar to those where your daughter is living, I have forwarded your question on to the Coos Extension office as they will have folks who are right in your community to help you figure out what the best choices might be. The MG Coordinator there is Sam Claybourne, and her # is 541-572-5263 x25299. One other nursery not listed in the ones we talked about over the phone that is just over the Coos border in Curry that you may also find of help is called Dragonfly Farms, and their # is 541-844-5559.