Old Rhododendron is dying and I want to save

I live in a rental and am very sad to see these two old Rhodies dying. Any advice to what is going on and what I can do to save is greatly appreciated.

Multnomah County Oregon trees and shrubs horticulture rhododendrons

The plants are declining. How have they been watered and cared for in recent years? Is this problem sudden? Has the amount of sunlight changed recently (for example if a shading tree was removed)? There are some leaf diseases of Rhododendrons, but this summer was especially hot and dry at times, causing more sunscald than usual. Clean old leaves from the area in case leaves are diseased. See page 9, Heat Damage in the WSU Extension publication “How to identify Rhododendron and Azalea problems: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1229/eb1229.pdf

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I do no know the answer to all questions as I moved in fairly recently. 90% sure no shade has been removed. I have seen no care provided, and they were likely not watered over the summer. I will dig into the publication. Thank you!!