Growing cherry tree from a pit

I'm wondering if the UMN north star cherry tree they developed in 1950 can be grown from a cherry pit. Will the tree be true to it's parent. Thanks

Douglas County Minnesota cherry trees horticulture

Probably not. I found once source (Jung's Seed catalog) which lists North Star as hybrid (not open pollinated). Many of the characteristics of the tree you grow may be different - size, bloom time, hardiness, flavor, for example.

Furthermore, growing a tree from seed is going to add several years until maturity. North Star produces fruit in quantity in only 2 or 3 years when planting a potted tree.

If you decide to try to grow a cherry tree from a North Star pit, remember that cherry seeds need a cold treatment. After cleaning and drying the seeds, either store them inside over winter, with a substantial period in the refrigerator preceding spring planting, or plant them outside in the fall.