Pruning blue elderberries and transplanting

I want to move some elderberry starts. The twigs I planted are now 1" in. diameter and 7 ft. tall. I need to prune down before transplanting. I understand elderberries have very long tap roots. What do you recommend?

Benton County Oregon wildflowers and native plants transplanting

Hi! Thanks for your question about transplanting elderberries. You are correct that pruning them down prior to digging them is good. They may have a taproot, but there is not much you can do about that. The least-stress time to prune them back and transplant them is when they are fully dormant in the winter. If we have a mild winter, this could actually mean early next year. After cutting them back, get as large a root ball as you can. If there is a taproot, or any other large root, cut it off cleanly with pruners or a saw - don't leave it ragged. Then just re-plant in a hole that is about twice as wide as the root ball, but not any deeper.
Generally elderberries are very resilient plants, so you have a good chance of success.

Thanks. Sort of what I expected. Glad you, and the other extension people, remind me to not be too anxious to "get it done and get on with other things". I need to be patient and willing to do some digging in the cold and wet middle of winter. TGhanks