Brussels Sprouts

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me why these Brussels Sprout plants never generated any “sprouts” this year. This is the third season I have grown them and the first two were prolific. This season I planted the sprouts between broccoli and potatoes. They are mulched with black plastic. I’ve attached some photos from a couple weeks ago that show just a few “nubs” on the stalk. This is the “Long Island” variety. Usually by this time of year the stalk is loaded with sprouts. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Carver County Minnesota

Brussel Sprouts are part of the cole family. This grouping of crops require highly fertilized soil. Based on this as well as the many insect and disease challenges they can have it is recommended their location be rotated every year. If you have yours planted in the same space as previous years the soil may not have the nutrients it needs. Additionally, many varieties require 100 days or more to get reduce. Lastly, Brussel Sprouts are not fond of high heat. Black plastic may have kept the plant warmer through the growing season than it preferred. Below is a link with information about growing Brussel Sprouts. https://extension.umn.edu/vegetables/growing-brussels-sprouts-home-gardens#common-problems-229812