Hosta protection

Yesterday I cut back most of my hosta. Some were browning and some werent. I didnt wait longer til after frost because i leave for florida soon. Should I spray a systemic disease prevention product around them? Afraid of hosta virus or other disease getting in. Thanks. Please reply to kathrynfp@aol.com

Washington County Minnesota hostas winter care of perennials

Thank you for the question. The best things you can do before you go to Florida to ensure healthy hostas next year, are to water your hostas well and clean up all plant debris from the ground. It is important to remove any diseased plant material from nearby plants too because garden debris is an important source of diseases that come back to haunt us next year. In general, chemical products are recommended only when a disease or insect problem has been accurately identified and other, less environmentally impactful methods have been tried and failed.

Thank you for contacting Extension.