Large old Oak tree may be diseased

I have a very large and old Oak tree that I think may be diseased. Is there someone that could look at it to tell me if it's dying or just needs pruning

Anne Arundel County Maryland plant care oak tree diseased tree may be dying

We do not do on-site visits. You can send us photos of the parts that show symptoms that worry you. We can often make a diagnosis from that. Send close-ups as well as a wide field shot. Please give us more detailed information about the situation, too.

You can have a certified arborist look at the tree. They are usually associated with tree service companies but often will assess the tree at no charge. To find a good arborist certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), go here: www.treesaregood.org

Your tree is definitely struggling. It has large limbs that are mostly dead, though they are trying to send out sprigs of new leaves.
Given it's proximity to your home, we would consider having it evaluated by a certified arborist for structural integrity and long-term health prospects, or having it removed.
Here is our page that helps people decide when to remove a tree:
http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/plants/how-do-you-decide-when-remove-tree