Baby Kingsnake staying on cold end

I’ve had my baby albino brooks kingsnake for a week now. He spends the majority of the time on the cold end either burrowed or under this log. I haven’t seen him on the warm end that much at all. Is he alright??? Is that abnormal behavior? Btw I’m using a heat pad which stays on and a 60 watt heat bulb for the day. My heat pad stays around 30 Celsius

Greenville County South Carolina

Thank you for your question. Your snake may be staying on the cooler side of the aquarium. If your heat pad temperature is approximately 30 deg. Celsius (86 degrees Fahrenheit), this is the high end of the temperature range you should be offering. If you have a heat lamp in one area of the cage plus your heating pad, that area is too warm for your snake. As a result, its spending most of its time in the area where the heat is generated only by your heat pad.

You should set up the enclosure such that one end is approximately 85 degrees F and the other end stays in the mid-70's. Here's a link to a care sheet for California kings that you can use:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Snakes/California-Kingsnake/

Also, if you have only had your snake for about a week, it's probably still getting accustomed to its cage and surroundings. It will take a little while before it gets comfortable and starts moving around.

I hope this answers your question, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim