Refrigerator pickles

I used a quick refrigerator-pickling recipe to make preserve miniature cucumbers. I want to send my daughter (in Seattle) a jar via UPS. Will the cucs be safe to eat after six days reroute unrefrigerated?

Ottawa County Michigan food safety canning

Hi, I'm guessing that your pickles were not water bath canned, since you only refer to them as refrigerator pickles? While in times past, pickles used to be kept in a crock and deemed safe, this is no longer the recommendation. Pathogens can grow if left unrefrigerated, especially if there are cucumbers that are not completely covered in the acid solution. You will not find a reputable resource that advises you that it is safe to leave these at room temperature, and therefore I cannot advise you to do this either. I recommend finding a recipe that processes the pickles in a water bath canner, so then you can send her pickles in a sealed jar. Here is a link that provides you with supportive information, and also has tested recipes and how-to instructions. Please reach out if you have more questions. https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/prep_foods.html

Thank you for keeping us from getting sick!

I really appreciate this information and am passing it on to my daughter.

You are welcome, thank you for reaching out!