Broccoli - will it winter

I have had a wonderful broccoli crop this year. The plants are still producing. We are leaving for three weeks soon and I plan to plant clover cover crop for the winter. Should I pull the broccoli out of let it go through the winter.

Multnomah County Oregon fruits and vegetables broccoli horticulture

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert for help with your broccoli in the coming cooler weather.

Generally, broccoli can withstand temperatures down to around 28 degrees. So, leaving it in while you are away should be fine. Cover crops, such as vetch, annual rye, and Austrian peas, can be planted into November—after your return.

For over-wintering/spring-harvest broccoli, you should have planted a variety specifically for that purpose (Arcadia, Marathon, sprouting broccoli, for example). In that case, they can remain in the garden throughout the winter. Otherwise, harvest your broccoli now or on your return.

For more on the winter vegetable garden, check out this Oregon Extension Service publication—Fall and Winter Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest here: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/pnw548.pdf

Regards,