My Weeping Willow is crying for help

Greetings I live on the Gull River near Brainerd. Last year at this time I planted a Weeping Willow approximately 10 feet from the bank of the river. All summer, slowly, the leaves have fallen off and at this point only the top few branches have leaves. The remaining leaves have black of dark brown spots on them. I have watered and fertilizer the tree throughout the summer but it appears I’m losing the battle. What’s going on with my tree? Jim Ahlgren Pillager MN

Cass County Minnesota diagnosis of plant problems weeping willow

Thank you for the question. I'm sorry to say that diagnosis of tree problems is difficult even from photos or examining the tree in person. Causes could be disease, insects, or non-living factors like too much/too little water, tree damage, poor planting practices, and so forth. What I can do is provide some reading resources to help you narrow down causal factors. Our self diagnostic programs may give you some clues. You might want to see if there was a warranty on the tree.

Thank you for contacting Extension.