Is Oct-Nov a good time to cut down elm trees without compromising adjacent, desirable elm trees

I would like to remove several small elm trees that are within 20' of a large elm. The smaller trees do not have Dutch Elm disease, but I am removing them so that they do not some day "catch" it and spread it through the roots of the larger tree. They are too small to be treated with fungicide (Arbotect) Can the undesirable elms be removed in say, late October or early November, instead of waiting until dormant season in January and February?

Hennepin County Minnesota elm trees horticulture

Dutch elm disease is spread by a beetle vector and by root grafts. The bark beetles are attracted to recently dead or dying elm trees, so when you cut those small elms - either now or in the spring - be sure to grind out the stumps, leaving no bark. Otherwise, I see no problem with taking them out now. Read here about DED:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advi...