What grasses should I plant

I live east of Pendleton and plan on planting my pasture to grass, what grass do you suggest I use for irrigated rotationally grazed pasture?

Umatilla County Oregon pastures and forages

I reached out to our forage specialist Mylen Bohle about this question and this was his response:

So this is a warm season annual. I assume this is in a newly planted field? If it is, harvesting it off in time before setting viable seed is the goal: I would think the grass hay field would out compete it by the following spring. The cool season perennial will be established and should out compete the yellow foxtail. Use of fertilizer the following year should help the cool season grasses be even more competitive. So pretty much the same for a pasture or combination pasture hay field.

Panoramic or Plateau are the annual grass weed killers for cheatgrass/downy brome, Ventenata, and Medusahead rye. Some of the perennials grasses might be dinged, you have to look at the label to see what perennials species will tolerate it and which ones will not.

If you had additional questions, please feel free to call the office in Pendleton, 541-278-5403.

Thank you for the question