Apple Identification

We have several very old apple trees in our orchard that are at least 50 years old, no one knows what variety they are. They are the remainders of the original orchard here in Alsea. The orchard was planted to have apples ripening for as long as possible, first one being a Yellow Transparent and ending with the three in question. Several later trees have had to be removed and we had no idea of their varieties either. But the tree in this submission is just now starting to ripen, the end of September. Crisp and 'semi-sweet' , great applesauce.

Benton County Oregon fruit trees apple identification horticulture

Hi, It is really hard to identify apples over the internet. That said, I'm going to go out on a limb and throw a few guesses out for this and the other two Ask an Expert questions you submitted about unknown apples.

To really nail these down I suggest that you bring fruit to the Home Orchard Society "All About Fruit" even at the Clackamas County Fairgrounds Oct. 20 and 21. I realize that is a 2 hr drive for you but it is a fantastic event. They have a fruit ID clinic complete with apple experts/detectives and reference fruits.

This one I will guess is possible Jonagold.