Chicken of the Woods?

Asked September 27, 2018, 5:34 PM EDT

Have a Black Walnut that has had some issues, and an arborist came last fall and cleaned up a lot of the diseased areas and advised it had a "L" issue and we had 1-2 years, or maybe 30-50 years before the tree succumbs. I have seen this fungi on it and local garden businesses advise it looks like chick of the woods? thoughts?

Washington County Oregon mushrooms mushroom identification

3 Responses

Greetings,

Yes, this is "Chicken of the Woods." There are two species in North America, Laetiporus conifericola which grows on conifers, and Laetiporus gilbertsonii, which grows on hardwoods on the west coast.

OK so is it edible and are there any concerns regarding maturity of the fungi and anything that needs to be done with it prior to cooking? Can it be consumed in a raw state? TY

Greetings,

Never eat a wild mushroom raw, some of them have been responsible for swelling of the throat and mucous membranes. If you choose to eat a mushroom you've never tried, then cook a small amount (tablespoon) and consume it. Wait until the next day to determine if it bothered your digestive system: some people are allergic to proteins in specific mushroom species. I also suggest visiting your local library and find a book on wild mushrooms. Here is a link to a website that includes this fungus: http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Laetiporus_gilbertsonii.html