Rice hulls in container nursery

How can you keep birds( sparrows) from knocking all the hulls out of the pots in the nursery.

Crawford County Ohio

I can only guess that you would need to screen the tops of the pots much like you screen blueberries so the birds don't get to all the fruits. I am also guessing that you are using the rice hills as a top dressing on the pots. I cannot figure why the birds would do this and it is not addressed in the information on the internet from the suppliers or other users. You might contact other nursery owners to see how they have addressed the problem if they have experienced it. You might also contact your local Extension Agent to see if he/she has any suggestions.

Thanks Lots of area to cover and always pulling plants. Will check with Willoway sometime

You may want to call your local Extension office and speak with Jason Hartschuh.
He may have other recommendations.

The phone number for your Extension office is: 419-562-8731
Jason's email address is: hartschuh.11@osu.edu

Best regards,

Denise J.

For a nursery there are a few other options for bird control. Probably the most effect methods in your situation is going to be Sonic noise makers they can be a challenge with sparrows though because they become used to sounds easily. For Sparrows there are also poison options you may want to look into along with some repel-ants. One other option used for bird controls in lasers but those work best with Geese.

Please email me at hartschuh.11@osu.edu with more questions

Thank you