Sauerkraut

I packed shredded cabbage and salt in a crock, weighted it to keep the cabbage submerged, and waited for it to ferment. After two weeks, it never fermented, but remained pleasantly sour and crisp. At that point I considered throwing it away but decided to boil it for 20 minutes to destroy any pathogens. Now I intend to can it, water bath method, but wonder if it is safe to eat.

Benton County Oregon food safety home food preservation fermentation

If your cabbage was sour and crisp it would have been fermenting. If nothing happened it would not be sour and would be very salty like when you put it in the crock.

You did not say how big a batch you made and what proportion of salt to cabbage you used. . If it was under 5 pounds it probably fermented and be ready to can, but larger quantities may not have been completed in 2 weeks. For your safety I would suggest you freeze it rather than canning it since it might not have enough acid to be safe to process in a boiling water canner.

If you have other food preservation questions you might like to call the OSU Food Preservation/Safety Hotline open M-F from 9 am-4pm until Mid October. The number is 10800-354-7319. Certified Master Food Preservers are available to personally answer your questions.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler