my wife and I just bought a small 6 acre farm. we have horses. the pasture is...

my wife and I just bought a small 6 acre farm. we have horses. the pasture is a mix of Timothy, Orchard, clover and Alfalfa. our mare is allergic to alfalfa. so my question is once I spray it with weedmaster (2,4d & Dacumba)to kill the alfalfa, once it dies it doesn't just disappear. so will the dead plants not cause any allergic reaction for her since there will be no nutritional value left in the plant? or will I have to kill it and disc it up to totally get away from it?

Champaign County Ohio

I have never had this question before. How allergic is the horse to the alfalfa? My thought would be that the horse will not try to eat the alfalfa after it is dead. I would keep the horse off the pasture for 10-14 days to allow the alfalfa to die, although it may take longer.

I would suggest using a 4 pt/A rate to be sure you kill the alfalfa. How large is the alfalfa? It would be nice to have it fairly large to ensure coverage in order that the plant will take the herbicide to the root system.

I assume you realize that you will kill the clover in the pasture while killing the alfalfa.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.