Losing trees

Hi- I have a beautiful yard full of huge mature silver maple trees. In the 10 years I've been here, I've lost 2, and 2 more are currently slowly dying. It is breaking my heart! I had an arborist come out and take a look, and he didn't see anything that he thought would be the root cause, other than possibly my neighbor's Black Walnut tree. The trees I have lost are all in a 'ring' around the black walnut. Is this possible? Can a black walnut kill off my maple trees? If so, is there anything I can do about it? (treat the soil? I know black walnuts can make the soil acidic, right?) I really, really want to keep my trees. (and I hesitate to replace them until I can figure out what's going on) Thank you, Stacy

Ramsey County Minnesota

Yes Silver Maples are sensitive to juglone, the substance produced by Black Walnuts. As the root systems of both expand, they overlap and the silver maple trees are the ones who will eventually die. Cutting down the Black Walnut won't help at this point as the roots are still in the ground and the juglone will be there for years. Here is a link from University of Maryland Extension: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/walnut-wilt-juglone