White fuzzy mold

Asked September 22, 2018, 9:06 AM EDT

Greetings, for a while now my kitchen compost bin has this mold growing, see photo. I have benn ignoring it and composting anyways. A few days ago I cleaned out the bucket with non Chlorine bleach, but it still appears. Is it anything I should worry about? Thank you, Gabrielle

Ramsey County Minnesota

1 Response

The removing of mold largely depends upon where the mold is and what the underlying surface is. From your picture, I could not determine the type of material from which your bin was constructed. If it is non-porous, then by far the most effective treatment is with household bleach. Mix one cup of bleach per gallon of water, which is about 1 part of bleach to 10 parts of water. Expose your compost bin to this solution for about five to ten. Rinse well with water and let dry.

The following site will give you some additional treatment procedures;

https://moldpedia.com/mold-removal

If your compost bin is made out of porous material (e.g., wood), bleach will not completely kill the mold that has penetrated the material. The following will provide you with some possibilities:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-remove-mold-from-wood/

Lastly while it would be unlikely that the mold itself would be harmful, the spores that it produces could cause an allergic reaction in you and/or in others. It would be best to remove it.

Good Luck