Japanese Beetle Issues

Hi, Since you folks are the experts, please advise me about how to try and minimize the Japanese Beetle issues. I have read tons of information and question the best approach. I live in the country and am surrounded by pastures (about 8 acres) and outside that, crop or timber. I currently lean toward nematodes and "grubGONE!". I would apply these in the spring in the pastures around our home. Your thoughts on this approach are much appreciated. Sincerely, Ken

Platte County Missouri ipm

Ken,

Those products can provide some relief, but will not totally eliminate the problem, as the beetles can unfortunately travel from nearby areas that are not treated. Outside of regular insecticide applications on the plants your are wishing to protect, there is a new option which the University has been conducting research on called "mass trapping." We have an article here which explains the methods of how to go about it, and contains a link which explains how to build your own traps: https://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2018/1/mass_trapping_japanese_beetles/

Cory Creed
Horticulture Specialist
University of Missouri Extension in Platte County