summertime weed management in christmas trees

Hello, I am on the east coast in Maryland and I am a relatively new Christmas tree grower. There is so much to learn. I am having weed control issues. When I planted originally, I planted in a corn field. I was very new to everything and I never established any slow growing grasses or anything, so the fields are primarily weeds. My original plantings were like 12 years ago. Since then when I plant new fields I plant grass or clover first. Back to the problem fields. I am a small farm so I will never be able to clear cut a field to re establish grasses and then plant again. I plant new trees in the spring in between older trees. In the spring I typically spray I qt per acre of glyphosphate and 8 oz per acre of sureguard. This year I used 12 oz of sureguard and I lost some trees so net year back to 8 oz. In the fall like October, I will also spray 1 qt per acre of glyphosphate. My problem is in the summer. The Sureguard stops working usually early June and then the weeds start to grow in the tree rows themselves. I have always been afraid to spray anything in the summer because the new growth is not hardened off. So usually I cut the fields in both directions, but this takes forever and it cause a lot of tree damage from the mower. There has to be a better way to control the weeds in the summer during the growing season. I have heard other tree farmers us 6 oz or 8 oz per acre of glyphosphate in the summer without damaging trees. Can you give me some guidance here as to what I can do during the summer? Do you have a weed management plan you can refer me to? Any help would be very much appreciated. We have had so much rain this year. I have lived on my mower. Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Frederick County Maryland

We answer homeowner questions regarding horticulture and pests.
We recommend that you contact the Ag Agent in your County since you are commercial.
Matt Morris, Agent
mjmorris@umd.edu, 301 600-3578