Unidentified bug. Tick or ???

I am attaching a photo(best I could come up with) that I took of a bug crawling on my wife's leg! Both of us have been bitten by some sort of an insect for the past 3 weeks and have no idea what bug could be torturing us! Looks like a tick but after searching for something similar online, we just could not find any creature that matches it! We need an expert!!

Prince George's County Maryland

It is surprising that it can still crawl!
That is a fully fed, engorged tick.
If you have cats or dogs, it could have fallen off of them. If they are not protected with monthly applications of tick control products, it would be a good idea.

If it may have fed on you or your wife, keep track of the date, and watch for signs of illness, or contact your doctor.
Here is our tick page, including links to Universities that can identify and test it for diseases if you like: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/deer-black-legged-and-wood-ticks
To have your tick simply identified, it can be stuck to masking tape, sealed in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel and sent to
Dr. Megan Fritz, Entomology Dept.
4291 Fieldhouse Dr.
Plant Sciences Bldg. Room 4112
College Park, MD. 20742