Starting a small garden

Hello, I am looking to start a small garden in my backyard in Glenarden, MD. I know I need raised beds and soil but I’m wondering if you could point me to a resource that can tell me exactly what I need and where to start. Also, I know that I’m pretty late in the season but what crops are best to plant for beginners that can still be planted before October 1st? This will be my first garden and I’m hoping to feed my family from it. Thank you

Prince George's County Maryland soil plant selection fall crops vegetable

You came to the right place and we are happy to help.

All of the information you need can be found at this portal:
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/vegetables

You don't necessarily need a raised bed, but that is up to you. There is information there on all of your options. This late in the season it may be best to just focus on the type of garden you want and start with digging/building, soil testing and soil improvement.
If you have fall leaves, keep them as they can be used as a great, free soil amendment.

If you already have a place to plant, you can find late season crops like kale, lettuces and other greens that you could try. Be sure to check our the floating row cover page that can help extend the season, and see the growing information pages for each type of crop, and planting dates calendar to plan for next spring.